Mobile: +358 (0)50 525 5435
Tel. +358 (0)50 334 3341
Competition law partner Arttu Mentula has been involved in many high-profile and some of the biggest competition law cases in Finland. Arttu has successfully represented clients e.g. in merger control matters before the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority and the European Commission, follow-on damages trials, cartel cases, as well as in matters related to horizontal agreements and other co-operation between competitors, abuse of dominant position, distribution systems, compliance programmes, state aid, EU law and public procurement litigation.
Arttu e.g. successfully acted as counsel for Kesko Corporation in its acquisition of Suomen Lähikauppa. The Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority (FCCA) cleared the transaction conditionally in the second phase investigation. In addition, Arttu acted as counsel for Kesko in the transaction in which Kesko acquired Onninen Ltd before the EU Commission and the FCCA. Arttu has also acted as counsel for Skanska Asfaltti Oy before the Market Court and the Supreme Administrative Court in the asphalt cartel and thereafter in the follow-on damages trial.
In addition, Arttu represents clients in various litigation, marketing law and contract law matters.
Arttu has published a number of books on competition law and is former Chairman of the Finnish Competition Law Association (now Board Member and Chief Editor of the Association’s annual yearbook). He has also written several articles on public procurement. Arttu is one of the highest ranked Finnish competition lawyers in various respected international rankings.
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law (2016): “Practice head Arttu Mentula is greatly appreciated by clients: “Mr Mentula has really wide experience in competition law. He’s a good problem solver.”
- Legal 500, EU and Competition (2016): “Department head Arttu Mentula “provides fast, expert and solution-oriented help”.
- Global Competition Review’s (GCR) 100 (2017): ranked as Highly Recommended.
- Chambers Europe (2017): Arttu Mentula’s areas of expertise include merger control, cartel follow-on damage and abuse of dominant position cases. He recently represented Skanska in the asphalt cartel case before the Helsinki Court of Appeal. Clients say: “He understands your problem quickly and his advice is clear and easy to comprehend.”
- Legal 500, EU and Competition (2017): Practice head Arttu Mentula is “a business-minded and customer-focused expert”.
- Global Competition Review (GCR) Who’s Who Legal: Competition has nominated Arttu Mentula for several years as one of the few leading competition law experts in Finland.
- Best Lawyers (2016): Competition law
Publications of books and articles
- Cartels in Finnish and EC Competition Law, 2002 (book)
- Abuse of a dominant position in Competition Law, 1998 (book, co-author)
- Several articles on competition law and public procurement
Position of trust and Memberships
- Chairman of the Finnish Competition Law Association 2000-2002 and now a Board Member
- Editor in Chief of the Yearbook of the Finnish Competition Law Association
- Appointed expert of the ICC’s Commission on Competition in Finland
- Appointed expert of the Finnish Bar Association’s competition law section
- Member of the Board of Business Practice 1999 (handling marketing law matters)
- Member of the Finnish Competition Law Association
- Member of the Association of European Law
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Mentula & Väätäinen Attorneys Ltd, Competition Partner 2017-
- Merilampi Attorneys Ltd., Head of Competition and EU law practice group, Partner 2002-2017
- Castrén & Snellman Attorneys Ltd., Lawyer 1999-2002
- Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn, Washington D.C., Visiting Attorney 1996
- Valio Ltd, Legal Counsel and General Counsel 1995-1999
- District Court of Vantaa, Judge Trainee 1994-1995
- Kari Kuitunen Attorneys at Law, Lawyer 1992-1994
- Finnish, English and Swedish